Susan was born and raised in North Bay. She attended Nipissing University and graduated with a B.A. in History/Political Science. She attended Dalhousie Law School and graduated with her L.L.B. She was called to the Ontario Bar in 1991. She spent 15 years practicing at Birnie Law Firm in North Bay almost exclusively in Plaintiff Personal Injury law and then joined Weaver Simmons in their North Bay Office.
- Dalhousie University – L.L.B (1991)
- Nipissing University – B.A. (1988)
- Law Society of Upper Canada
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Trial Lawyers Association
- Nipissing District Law Association