Our Firm

Weaver, Simmons LLP is the largest law firm in Northern Ontario. For over 85 years we have proudly served northern interests and have built a solid reputation for integrity in the profession and for quality of service to our clients.

At Weaver, Simmons LLP, over 30 full-time lawyers practice in the areas of civil litigation, criminal, corporate, commercial, real estate, aboriginal law, mining and natural resources, family and labour and employment law with over 60 support personnel including law clerks, law students and administrative staff. We provide services in both official languages, as well as languages such as Ojibwe, Greek and Italian. We service institutional, business, family and individual clients throughout Ontario.

The strength of Weaver Simmons comes from our connection and dedication to Northern Ontario. We promote service to the community and to the profession and are proud to have supported, through volunteer and board work, over 60 charitable and community-based organizations.

With considerable knowledge and competence, we consistently earn the trust of our clients. Whenever you need to contend with a legal issue, depend on Weaver, Simmons LLP to resolve it in a timely and satisfactory manner.

History

Since 1929, Weaver, Simmons LLP has been supporting the North. Founded in 1929, the firm was originally named McKessock, Wilkins and Facer. In 1946, Cecil Facer continued the office with a new partner, William Shea. Facer was awarded King’s Counsel in 1945 and worked as an alderman, city solicitor and member of the local planning board. Facer played a pivotal role in the opening of a juvenile court in Sudbury where he became the first judge and was widely known for his refusal to house youths in detention with adults. The Cecil Facer Centre for young offenders in Sudbury is a tribute to his dedication to assisting youth in conflict with the law.

One of the first female lawyers and believed to be the first female partner, was Mary Patricia Weaver. Ms. Weaver came to Sudbury in the 1950s after graduating from law school. She worked in the community and eventually joined Facer Shea as an associate in 1962. Ms. Weaver, for whom the firm is named, practiced in corporate and real estate law and was awarded the honourary title of Queen’s Counsel. She continues to be a dedicated member of the Sudbury community through her tireless volunteer activities.

After many incarnations, the firm is now known as Weaver, Simmons LLP.